Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stranger Danger

A friend of ours had an incident with her kid talking to a stranger this week. Her child was in an enviroment where teacher's were watching her child. And evidently, the child's teacher never noticed that the child was talking to a stranger who was standing by the playground fence. My friend didn't know about it until the next day when the child told her about it in detail. My friend shared this incident with me recently as a prayer request, and I am determined to keep her and her child in my prayers.

But, I'm not gonna lie. Her request FREAKED ME OUT! Not only for her and her child, but also for mine!That same evening in the car, Julia and I had a lengthy conversation about stranger danger while Lydia listened. I told Julia over and over again in several different ways that it is never okay to go anywhere with anyone, or even talk to them unless Mommy, Daddy, or a teacher gives her permission to. Julia agreed and even answered all my questions correctly. So, at the end I asked one more hypothetical question:

"Julia, if someone who Mommy and Daddy doesn't know, who we've never met before, who we didn't give permission for you to talk to, what if someone like that comes up to you and says - 'Hi, I have a cookie in my car, do you want to come with me and get it?"

Julia replied in her perkiest voice, "Sure, I'd love to!"

"NNNNOOOO, no, no, no, no. You NEVER go with someone who Mommy and Daddy don't know or give you permission to go with. Please, always ask Mommy or Daddy first!"

Needless to say, we continued to discuss the topic for sometime, and when I asked Julia the question the next time, she answered it correctly. But still it FREAKS ME OUT. Jesus help us! So, I wanted share all of this for anyone with small kiddos who might read my blog. I'm sorry if it freaks you out. That is not my intention. My intention is to remind you to have a stranger danger type conversation with your own little ones. I know it's hard because we don't want to scare our children, (or ourselves) but, it's important to talk about it with them, just in case. Sorry for the downer.

However, I'll try and end  this blog post with a few uppers!

Julia-ism # 1: Julia and Lydia got to watch Cinderella a few nights ago, and during the part where the prince's horsemen are chasing Cinderella down, Julia looked at me and said in an exuberant, worried tone, "Are they trying to kill Cinderella?"
"No," I replied, "they're not. The prince just wants to marry Cinderella, so he sent men after her to bring her back to the palace." Interesting plot when you think about it, huh?

Julia-ism # 2: Julia has two teachers for her mother's day out program. The main teacher's name is easy: Mrs. Drake. The other teacher's name is a little trickier. I tried to study her name badge without being too noticeable a few times, but could never quite make her name out. I asked Julia what her other teacher's name was, and she told me her name is Mr. Mean. I was sure, that wasn't her real name, so this name perplexed me for two reasons. 1- She's female. 2- Julia said she in nice. I finally figured out her teacher's name this week. It's Ms. Nermine.

Lydia-ism # 1: I've started potty training Lydia. A lot of the time, I sit her on the toilet, and no business actually takes place while she's sitting there. When this happens, I often ask her questions, like, "Where's the potty, Lyddie?" Lydia's most recent go-to response: "The potty is in my belly button."

Lydia-ism # 2: Julia got some sea monkeys as a gift for Stewart Christmas. They actually hatched from their eggs and are living in an "aquarium" on our kitchen countertop. Dave and I were discussing them one evening, and afterwards, Lydia asked Dave if she could see them. Dave said, "Sure, they're in the kitchen, go look." Lydia ran in to the kitchen and looked around. She then replied in a sing-song voice, "Nope, no monkeys in the kitchen!"

Hopefully these stories translate. :) They may be some of those "you had to be there" types of stories, but I am glad I have them recorded here all the same. I hope that you have a blessed, safe and wonderful week! -Amber

7 comments:

  1. This post is both alarming and delightful! I laughed at everything in the end. Your girls are adorable. And spunky! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Amber I laughed till I was crying!!! Julia is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend's incident didn't happen at church did it?? Because if so, we HAVE to know about that kind of stuff! We take it very seriously, as do our HPD officers that work for us (they like to handcuff first and ask questions later :).

    My dad is a cop and my mom is a teacher so they were AWESOME with the stranger danger stuff with me. They taught me so many great things that I plan on teaching my kids, the main thing being our "secret password". Basically, if EVER a stranger came to me to "pick me up" from school, take me home from gymnastics, whatever, they would have to know the secret password. My mom drilled this into my head, talking to me about it constantly. They said that if a stranger did not know the password, I refused to go with them, found a police officer or adult that I know and tell them what's happening. Only one time did something come up and my parents couldn't pick me up from dance class. A coworker of my mom came to get me, introduced herself and said, "Your mom told me to tell you, the secret password is ________." Since it was the password, I went with her! And all was fine :) A good thing to teach the girls later so they know to never go with anyone that doesn't know the password :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny and scarey. Jesus protected you kids for me, I was always afraid of strangers. I will never forget the days of you Amber hiding under the cloths rack till I about screamed your name for the whole mall to hear. I knew you had been kidnapped, cut your hair and put on different cloths on you so I didn't recognize you. You were the most perfect little blonde and that's who they targeted or lease that was what the meadia said. love mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Amber, your blog entries always make me laugh out loud! Funny girls. :)

    Yeah, the stranger issue can be tough. We've got the Berenstain Bears stranger book and it's been a good starting point for stranger conversations at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we have had this talk several times now thanks to your advice. thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete