Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Might Have Some Bald Spots

Pulling out your hair is a completely natural side effect of motherhood, right?!? It's not just me, is it? And, why is it that when you pray for patience God, in all his Magnificence, doesn't just hand it over as a free gift? He knows it's good for us to work for it, doesn't He? Or, maybe it's the case that if I pray for patience, God just allows me to see all the times I am totally NOT patient, and then reminds me to "Watch it!". Oi vie. Either way, I have a lot to learn.

Aah! What a kooky day this has been!! My kids are so funny and trying and crazy and wonderful and frustrating! We had two places to go today: the library and the grocery store. My girls are usually excited to go to both of these places, believe it or not, so it's usually not a big deal to go back to back. But today, today was a different day. Lydia has been showing us more and more of her personality lately, and I love it. She is extremely comical...and mischievous. But, in the last few days she has started 1- antagonizing her sister (I guess it's payback time) and 2-running the opposite direction when I tell her to come to me.

The whole time we were in the grocery store, Lydia kept ripping Julia's head band off of her head, bringing bits of hair with it. Finally, I let Julia get out of the cart to be relieved from her sister. (I guess I didn't want Julia to have the same bald spots I am getting! Ha!)

And on top of that, twice today, I went running after a crazy little two-year-old who thinks that running away is hilarious. The first time was in the library. The second time was in the HEB parking lot!!!!
Picture it: "Lydia, sit right here by your sister for a minute." (We'd parked by a little grassy area.) Lydia sits for .4 seconds before getting up. Immediately after grabbing my coupons and my purse, Lydia started walking towards the street. "No, Lydia sit down!" I said. "LYDIA, LYDIA!" Lydia looks at me with a mischievous grin, turns around and bolts into the street. "LLYYYYDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" I throw down my keys, my purse, and my coupons and run as fast as I can to catch her. Thank God there were no cars coming--she'd already made a pretty good distance!!! Needless to say, her hiney didn't leave the cart or her car seat until it was in bed for nap time. I am all for anything that straps her in! Oh, what's a mom to do? .....Seriously, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?

So, then after we got home, Julia decided she would "help" me bring in groceries. I gave her light bags and a cereal box to bring in, and she did a great job. I was so glad, though, that she was out of harms way when a jar of spaghetti sauce broke through the bag and onto the garage floor, crashing it's entire contents onto the cement floor and breaking the glass into a thousand pieces. Needless to say, glass and red sauce went flying everywhere!! I cleaned up the mess a few hours ago, but it wasn't until a few seconds ago when I sat down on the couch that I realized I hadn't wiped down my legs and that they were sprayed red as well. Good thing it didn't get on the couch!

Oh well...I am currently rewarding myself for making it through the morning by drinking chocolate milk and relaxing. And so, on a happier note, I will share some fun things my girls have been doing lately. After Lydia's birthday party Saturday, I asked Julia to help me clean some stuff up around the house. Julia's response to my request: "You got it, girl!" So cute! And Lydia is constantly asking us to "read me" (translation: read to her). Her current book of choice? "Toe Wipe"...(a.k.a. Snow White).

Like I said, they are funny and trying and crazy and wonderful and frustrating.....
I hope my hair grows back. Love, Amber

3 comments:

  1. Papa thinks I taught her to say "You got it girl" Ha ha! Lol mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Amber....... I am SOOOO with you! I have a 21 month old boy who climbs on everything and is honestly going to make me have a nervous breakdown :(

    So glad your little one was safe! That was scary!

    so nice to 'meet' you! :)
    Melanie
    ~ melscoffeebreak.blogspot.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, she could have! Love ya.

    Melanie, thanks for reading my post. :) I'm gonna check out your blog too. It's a wonder mother's live through the toddler years.

    -Amber

    ReplyDelete