Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Patty's Day

Dave and I were engaged 12 years ago on St. Patrick's Day. So, we celebrate by wearing green. I usually try and make a fun, Irish dish. But, this year, we went to church and then I did an open house and showed homes instead. Dave is so supportive of my career launch!
Because St. Patrick's Day was a Sunday this year, Dave was home to remind me to wear green. I would have totally forgotten the holiday all together had he not been home. (This is usually the other way around...) His reminding me made me remember the day he proposed even more... That morning, I got up and got dressed. I had taken the opportunity to sleep in because Dave and I had a date planned in the afternoon and he was working. I lived in the dorms at what was then Bartlesville Wesleyan College. When I remembered later that day that it was St. Patty's day, I changed my clothes into something green and then fiddled around. I think I read or did homework or the like. 
Dave was working as a teller at Arvest bank, and his shift was over at Noon. He called to tell me his drawer wouldn't reconcile, which meant I would be waiting around until he got it all figured out. Being a teller myself, I knew that it could take a while to find the missing money. So, I waited. And then I waited some more. And then, finally, around 2, Dave came to pick me up. (Little did I know he didn't even go to work that day at all.) Dave proposed to me on the land by our church. I don't remember him driving me there, but I do remember fireworks going off after I said yes. Since fireworks are a no-no in Bartlesville city limits, the next thing I remember is Dave saying to me, "Hurry, we gotta go before the cops come." 
We got in his huge white '66 impala, and then went to a little gathering at a friends house. It was such a blessed an interesting day.
On March 17th 2001, Dave and I were so young when we took that giant leap in our lives. But God has blessed us abundantly. My life is nothing like I would have pictured it on that day.  I guess I always thought things might get easier instead of harder and more complicated. Although, I never could have guessed the goodness that the Lord has blessed me with either. If you would have asked me then if I would have 3 daughters and live in Houston, I would have adamantly declared that it would not be the case. But, I am thankful that it is. We are right where we need to be. 
Happy St. Patty's Day! I hope you didn't get pinched. -Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment