Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Re-purposing Oils

I love different flavored oils. I love the healthier aspect of olive oil. I use it a ton! However, when Dave and I went to Maine last year, we went to a wonderful oil and vinegar store called Fiore Artisan Olive Oils and Vinegars. It was amazing! (This isn't a commercial, we just stopped in and loved it.) We bought and loved the butternut squash oil, and I hope to reorder some soon! I started using this oil to make popcorn, and it was awesome! It actually gave the oil a touch of nuttiness to it's flavor. The lady working at Fiore's said that she just used the oil instead of butter. (I need a little butter on my popcorn though.) But since I am currently out of that wonderful stuff, I opt for using olive oil in everything again. Oils like olive oil and butternut squash oils are way healthier for you than vegetable or corn oils. (So the nutritionists say.)

But, did you know that oils are also good for cleaning stainless steel appliances? I saw this on an HGTV show back in the day, and have used it clean my appliances ever since. It takes a lot of oil, but it cleans, and works great. I always smear my appliances with oil (corn and vegetable oils work okay, but olive oil works better) before I put our house on the market to be sold. It cleans it up, and makes it sparkle! (Disclaimer: If you should try this trick, please know that you have to fully cover all areas of stainless steel with oil. If you do a quick job and don't rub thoroughly, you will end up with streaks. Don't be scared that it makes your stainless steel a little darker. It'll all be the same color again once the oil is rubbed in.)
Not a Good Job
See the picture above? That's what happens when you are trying to the job too quickly, and decide to clean the appliances without actually taking the necessary time to rub the oil in and do a good job. This was an attempt to remove finger prints and water marks before guests arrived at my house. Not a good idea. I think I made it worse.

Here's an example of the correct way:
Dirty Stove
 Just grab a terri cloth towel, put some oil on it and rub the dirty spots.

Look Between the Knobs
 In between the turners things, is the first bit of olive oil I applied. Just put it on, and rub it in to get all the dirty spots off. Then, wipe with a dry towel to remove excess oil.
Clean and Shiny!
Try out this trick, and let me know how it worked for you, mmmk?

Thanks for reading! -Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment