Saturday, November 13, 2010

Baking Day

With the holidays coming up, I wanted to get a head start on Christmas gifts and be prepared for last minute party needs. So, I figured it would be good to start some baking. If I bake a little on Saturdays during the girls' naps, I should have a bountiful supply of baked goods in our freezer for whatever may come up this holiday season. I hope my idea comes to pass. We shall see.

Anyway, I decided to make some pumpkin bread this afternoon. The girls were not quite asleep yet, so I was not able to devote my full attention to the project at hand. After coming back from yet another distraction, I realized that I had made this:

 I decided to take a picture of my "candy corn" in a bowl.
 Here's a top view....doesn't it look like it'll turn out to be delicious?
Above is the finished product. These loaves are fully cooled and just about to go into the freezer.

Ok, fine. Don't twist my arm. Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the following ingredients together:

2 2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
2/3 shortening (I used butter...it's what I had.)
1 lb can pumpkin
1/2 tsp allspice
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup nuts
1 cup chopped dates or raisins (optional)

Bake in 3 loaf pans (or two regular size and 3 mini loaf pans) for about 45 mins. (30 mins. for the minis) at 350 degrees.

Let me know if you decide to make some bread. I'd love to know how it turns out! Thanks for reading ya'll. -Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment