Saturday, February 26, 2011

Grandpa Mitchell's 90

I am so, so far behind on blogging. I wish I could keep up with blogging, and housework, and everything better, but I've been just plain tuckered out the last few weeks. Part of the reason for that is that my Grandpa turned 90 on February 20th of this year, and we drove up to Topeka to celebrate him and his 90 great years. Unfortunately, we don't make it to Topeka, KS to see my Grandpa often, but I LOVE it when we do get to see him.

Here's the birthday spread. The cake has a hunky picture of Grandpa on it from when he was younger. I think my aunt wanted to add it to show how handsome he's always been.

This is Lyd with her second cousin, Vince. He's two, and his mom, my cousin Melanie, is expecting a daughter in 3 months. The girls loved him.

This is some of the crew at the party. I was taking the picture.

My Grandpa requested this shot because he wanted a picture of the oldest and youngest guys at the party. Raymond Mitchell- 90 years old, Josiah Hazelet- 6 months.

Looking at picture albums
 Before Grandma Mitchell passed away (it'll be 10 years ago in November), she started giving things to me and my cousins. They were things she specifically wanted us to have. (I have a yellow porcelain bird that is kept up high, out of reach from grubby little hands. There is a little piece of paper on the bottom telling me who Grandma received the bird from.) I truly believe my grandma knew it was almost time for her to go to heaven. One of the things she gave my cousin Melanie was her picture collection. She told Melanie that they would work on organizing them together, but shortly after that, Grandma died when her brain aneurysm burst while she was speaking at a church function. So, Melanie was left to finish the task on her own. But, instead of simply organizing the pictures, Melanie made scrapbooks for all of us, and gave it to us this year at Grandpa's party. They are so neat and well-done. Sentimental as I am, I'll cherish it forever! (Thank you, thank you Melanie.)
This was the day before Grandpa's party. My dad's cousin was telling Julia that she knew someone else named Julia . Julia was happily surprised by the news.

This is my bro and my little Lyd. Alex's middle name is Ray--after my wonderful Grandpa.
We had a wonderful,wonderful time in Topeka. I only wish we would have had a little more time. It was a whirlwind of a trip. One of my favorite things about it: Lydia pronounces Topeka as To-pizza. Love that.

                                                                                                           Thanks for reading, Amber


1 comment:

  1. Always enjoy reading your updates.
    Love and Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete