Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fantastic Antics

Here are a few things I left out of the previous post. I didn't mention some of the crazy things my crazy kids did while we were gone. Frankly, although I find these things hilarious, thinking about them makes me exhausted. I think you may know what I mean when you read what my girls did.

First, Lydia ESCAPED while we were all sleeping....

It's 5 a.m., and most of the people staying in our room had not slept much at all. Let me back up....I'll remind you that we left Thursday, got to a friends' house in Dallas late, drove all day Friday, and then arrived in Topeka at dinner time on Friday. My mom, dad, brother, sister, nephew, and the four of us were all planning to stay at a parsonage at the church that my family and I attended when we lived in Topeka. We were told that the house was undergoing some updates, but I was a little scared for the safety of my crazy kids when we walked into the house and realized that they'd pulled up almost all of the carpet in the house, and it was mostly sub-flooring. Preschoolers run around like crazy, and I could just see Lydia getting up in the middle of the night to fall on the little nails by the wall that used to hold down carpet.
Anyway, we went to dinner with my grandpa and aunts and thought about where else we might stay. We called some hotels, but ultimately decided to stay at the retirement home where my grandpa lives. They only had one room/suite available, so we all stayed together. We already had bedding since we were planning to stay on the floor at the the parsonage. So, the 9 of us piled into a 2 room suite. In the very early morning, Lydia got up and waltzed right out the door while we were all sleeping. She met up with the manager of the retirement home who was making coffee for the breakfast served at the home. He talked to Lydia for a few seconds and then asked her where I was.
"Asleep." Lydia replied.
"Let's go back to your room then, ok?"
"Okay."
He followed her back to our room, and then shut the door behind her. Hearing the door shut, my sister got up and said, "Amber, I think Lydia was just in the hallway."
I was shocked, and went to Lydia to make sure she went back to sleep on her little nap mat, then went back to sleep myself. It wasn't until the next morning that we realized the extent of Lydia's wanderings. We found out when the manager came and found us at breakfast and said, "Whose is the little blonde?" (Maybe I'll wise-up before I claim her so very quickly next time.)

The second antic I blame on my parents.

They brought their little dog, Willie, with them on this trip. He's a maltipoo--just small enough for Julia to hold and boss around. During the birthday party, while I was taking pictures and decorating, Julia was introducing Willie to the elderly people who were eating lunch. I heard that evening, after the party, that Julia went to one woman imparticular, plopped Willie on her lap and then told her all about the dog and his habits. There was no indication of invitation from this older woman. Just Julia, imposing herself and the pup on this sweet lady.When she was done explaining the life of the dog to this poor woman she said in a kind but authoritative voice, "Okay, you're done holding Willie now. See you later, bye."

Unfortunately, I think it's the case that the girls are watched more loosely when we are at family gatherings. We all sort of expect that someone else is keeping tight watch over them. However, I know that I'm still ultimately responsible for their behaviour. Hence the exhaustion accompanied with these antics.

No comments:

Post a Comment