Sunday, August 12, 2012

Up in Flames

Well, the good news is I didn't set the house on fire. The bad news is that I almost did....let me explain.

So, our kitchen in this townhouse is small, tiny and undersized. I'm almost positive most master bedroom closets are bigger. And, I'm not even exaggerating. Because it's so small, I often use the electric stove as additional counter space. This is quite hazardous because I also can not seem to pay attention to which burner I'm turning on. I turn on the wrong burner about 50% of the time....

Anyway, I started dinner this evening, and then Dave took over for the last part of it because I was feeding the baby. He did a great job. When I was finished nursing, I came out and Dave was getting all the plates prepped, including one for our little neighbor-girl who was over playing. I started to help him, but decided to turn on my tea kettle to have some hot tea with dinner. When I went back into the kitchen, I realized that I'd turned on the wrong burner, that my one and only oven mitt was partially on fire and that I was about to burn the house down. I grabbed a spatula and scooped the mitt off of the burner and that's when the smoke started billowing. Dave came in, thinking of the girls and closed the door to the kitchen so that they wouldn't breathe the smoke. But, our tiny kitchen filled up with nasty, chemical, worse than usual smoke super quick, and I said, "Why'd you shut that door, the smoke is going to kill us!" I had to get out of that kitchen because my lungs were really hurting in just that short amount of time. We turned on the kitchen vent, opened both garage doors, reclosed the kitchen door and I opened the front door. I felt awful when our neighbor-girl, Gwen, started coughing because of the smoke and fumes. But, the smoke started to dissipate, and Dave and I sat down to dinner like nothing happened. Of course, the girls couldn't be so polite...

Lydia kept saying, "Are we going to die because of the smoke? Will it kill us?" Then Gwen looked at me, looked at Dave and got up to "whisper" into Julia's ear, "Does your mom always switch on the wrong burner and almost start a fire like that?" Julia looked at her and said "No!" with some sass to back it up. Dave and I couldn't help but laugh. We all coughed a few times and then changed the subject to school and what not.

My slightly singed oven mitt

And, speaking of school, kindergarten registration for Julia is tomorrow. I'm stll in disbelief. Julia is very excited, but I'm overwhelmed. Lord, help us. On Tuesday, we will bring food to new parents, and on Thursday we will have friends over for dinner. This Saturday, we will make a daytrip to Galveston because we haven't been to the beach yet this summer. Plus, our regular crazy lives. It should be exciting times. 

On a side note, I'd like to let my readers know that I've stopped watching Felicity. The show started out with a fun story line about an innocent, nerdy girl who was starting college and beginning new relationships. Somewhere in the last few episodes I watched, the story line dissapeared, and the plot became extinct. The show was reduced to scenes that take place in the bedroom. I don't appreciate that. So, while feeding the baby, I'm back to checking my social media apps repeatedly and twiddling my thumbs. I really need to just grab myself a good book.

Anyway, I am so thankful that I didn't actually burn my house down, or injure anyone with my mishap this evening. (Just think what would happen if I did start a fire--there are so many townhouses connected. That would be terrible.) I'm also thankful for a husband who takes my mistakes in stride and just helps me instead of yelling at me for the stupid stuff I do. Thanks, Babe!  Also, thanks to you for reading about our craziness, once again. I appreciate it. -Amber

1 comment:

  1. Electric stoves are killers you can't see the heat till you have burned or melted something. But I've done that with gas too. Love you mom

    ReplyDelete