Saturday, April 24, 2010

One Small Step for Most People, One Giant Leap for Amber-kind!

As my title suggests, I realize that running a 5K isn't that big of a deal, but it was a goal of mine and I am glad to have accomplished it. I am not super stoked about these pictues of me, but, they'll do. We had to leave our house at 7 a.m. to get to the park by 7:45. Dave took this picture of me right before I had to rush over and get on the starting line. I didn't know my number was off to one side. This is me finishing. No it's not posed; I really did it! I was right in the middle of the pack. Maybe next time I'll be closer to the front! (This picture is proof that I beat at least one guy! Ha!)The fun run today was also a fundraiser for the Sudanese people. The official name of the race was: Aid Sudan Annual 5K Fun Run/Walk. I am so excited that I got to be a part in blessing those people. God is doing a great work over there! The run today helped pay for things like healthcare, wells for clean water, food, and solar-powered radios for people in Sudan. The radios may not seem like a big deal, but it is actually the neatest thing they are giving these people. The literacy rate in Sudan is about 1% and there are about 60-some different tribal languages. All of this makes Bible translating sort of impractical! Even if the Bible was translated, hardly anyone could read it. So, that's where the radios come into play. The radios tune into a Christian radio station that gives the Sudanese stories about the Bible and about God. The people there are hearing the message of God's love from local Sudanese pastors, and many of them are excited about it....and so am I! Below is a picture of a group of Sudanese women dancing a traditional Sudanese dance.


And, one last picture of me....


After the race, we went and saw Daniel and Xiaolan for a few minutes, and then went to a restaurant called Kenny and Ziggy's. (Daniel and Xiaolan were a little under the weather, so they couldn't come with us.) The restaurant is sorta famous in these parts, and a very fun way to celebrate. It was on The foodnetwork channel's show Diner's, Drive-in's and Dive's, so we knew it would be good. The food was delicious,and the experience was great, but we probably won't go there again for a little while. $38 dollars for one rueben sandwich, one bowl of mushroom and barley soup, one iced tea and a pbj sandwich is just not in our budget....we're tight, what can I say? Anyway, it was a great day!
Also, I did want to let you all know, that I am being baptized on May 2nd at the 9:30 service. Mom and Dad, if you're interested in watching the baptism online, let me know and I can tell you how to do so. Thanks for reading. -Amber



3 comments:

  1. i was so excited to see you in action on saturday! you looked great, way to go girl! and rejoicing over your upcoming baptism!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I reread this blog. I would like to know how to see you get baptized. We will be at Grandpa's probably but we can watch on his computer or something. That is so wonderful I have prayed for you on this I just had a bunch of junk come up and now it's settled down. Love you sweety! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow congratulations! I wish I would have checked your blog sooner so I could have caught it! I would have definitely stood up for you :)

    ReplyDelete