Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Road Trip

Last week was very different for me and my family. If you have read my blog at all before, you know that in the last several posts, I have talked about going to visit my sister and brother-in-law to meet my new nephew, and that I would be then driving down to Topeka with my parents to visit my Grandpa. Then, my parents drove me to Bartlesville where I got to reunite with Dave and the girls and go to my 10-year class reunion.
I had a great time at each location, but am glad to be home. At my first location, I met this little guy:


I reminded him not to forget me between now and Thanksgiving. I'm sure he'll remember.

I had a great time visiting Josiah and my family, and seeing my friends Julie and Jamie. I was so surprised at how the time flew by and can't wait to host everyone in my home for the holidays.

Seeing my Grandpa was great, but somehow, in the short time we got to see him, I forgot to pull out my camera and take a pic of us with him. He told us several times that he is starting to forget things, but he also told us many stories about things that happened a long time ago, as well as things that are going on in his life and the lives of his freinds' currently. While I believe him that things are harder for him to remember, I am glad to see that he is doing well overall. I just pray that he isn't too lonely. I know he still misses my Grandma, as we all do.

After traveling to Bartlesville, my parents saw Dave and my girls for a few seconds while checking on their house that is still on the market in Bartlesville. (We are all hoping and praying that it sells soon.) I was amazed that we all rode into Bartlesville at the same time. We couldn't have planned it better if we'd tried. My brother also saw Dave and the girls and gave them hugs before he had to get to his house and get ready for work the next day. Dave and the girls and I got to head on over to my mother-in-law's house and visit with her and Dave's step-dad before the reunion festivities began the next evening.

The following morning, Ruth (Dave's mom), Dave, the girls and I went to the Dewey State Fair to visit the animals there. The fair was not very large, and there were no rides, but it was the perfect pre-nap activity, and I am so glad that we went. Below are a few pictures of the girls enjoying themselves at the fair.




We were also lucky enough to see a few friends from Bartlesville at the fair, and that was great fun. That evening, Dave and I went to meet with my former classmates at a local restaurant. We didn't stay very long though because we looking forward to seeing our friends, Jared and Lela. We had a great time both places and I was happily surprised that I was not afraid of all of my former classmates...which was very different from the way it was in high school.

Then on Saturday, we got to see Jared and Lela again as we checked out some garage sales with them in honor of the 100 mile long garage sale of Oklahoma. Afterwards we enjoyed lunch with Ruth and Don (Dave's step-dad) and then got the girls down for a nap. After they woke up, we got to visit with Krista, (Dave's step-sister), and her daughter, Mattisyn. Julia and Lydia L-O-V-E their cousin Mattisyn and were very, very sad to see her go. I couldn't believe how tall and big Mattisyn is getting. She's already 5 years old!!!! I hope my girls never get that big. I mean, I want them to grow normally....I mean, I want my girls to stay small forever...but I know they can't and that makes me sad....you probably know what I mean.

Anyway, that night we got to go to my high school reunion and thankfully, we had a great time!!! I talked to some of my classmates more that evening than I had the whole 4 years I went to school with them. Hallelujah and Praise the Lord, I am no longer painfully shy! I was so glad to see so many of them happily married, and surprised to hear so many of them already have children. Dave and I also hit the dance floor a few times and enjoyed watching others do the same. I wish we didn't have to wait 10 more years to do it again.

The hardest part of my trip was definitely the travel. Everything else was so much fun!! (My flight got delayed on the way there, so I sat on the plane for an hour and a half before we even took off. Then the last 45 minutes of the plane had some major turbulence, and since I am easily motion sick, I seriously thought I was going to lose my lunch snacks. Then, on the way back from Bartlesville, the 4 of us had to travel in the heat because the a/c in our van is broken, and Julia did end up losing her lunch. I think the poor dear is easily susceptible to motion sickness like me. Luckily she is old enough to let us know before it happens, so I had time to pass her a cup before Dave pulled over. It made clean-up a lot easier.) I am so thankful that besides a few little traveling quirks that everything turned out wonderfully!

Thanks so much for reading my blog, and keeping up with what our family is up to. I appreciate you all. Love, Amber

4 comments:

  1. i'm so glad you got to enjoy each part of this trip! josiah is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man you tell the story so well! I will eventually get my blog to sound that good. Thanks for sharing your trips ups and downs with us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that we got to spend time with you guys. We always have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE had a great time too and most memorable for dad and I was getting the dinner on Sunday just with our 3 kids. Meeting Josiah of course and getting to bless our poor empty house in B-ville running and chasing the grand girls from room to empty room. Fun fun fun

    ReplyDelete