Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Jail House Rock

This last Sunday, I had the privilege of visiting a women's prison with about 25 other people to sing praises to the Lord. It was such a blessing! I wish I could accurately put the experience into words, but I know that's impossible. So, I'll just do my best!

After church, our group ate lunch together and practiced our songs a little, and then piled into a few people's vehicles and headed to Dayton, TX. We had been praying for this mission as a group for a few weeks, but we continued to pray that we would be let in to the prison without interruption or delay. God blessed us, and we got to go into the prison right away. We were led into a big room with lots of chairs, and about 180 inmates already in the room. We sang a few songs, and then had the opportunity to listen to Shannon, who spoke to the women about redemption, and about how we are clay, that is being molded by The Potter's hands. As we got up to sing again, some of the women from our group had the opportunity to pray with some of the women in the audience. It was a blessing to speak with these ladies. These women were searching for a saviour, and were willing to be transparent in order to receive that. They weren't ashamed of their needs and truly desired to grow, and believe in the change and resurrection God has for their lives. It's too bad more people aren't like that. Too bad I'm not more like that. --I truly hope these women stay like that.
Outside of he Prison, as we drove up.
 Some of the things that amazed me about this trip?
 - The women wanted to keep singing, and even had song requests. We sang, "I can only imagine" at their request, and sang a few of the songs, that we had rehearsed to sing, more than once.
- The women were joyful, and danced as they praised.
- I found out that, there is no air conditioning in these women's cells. That means there cells get up to about 120 degrees in the summer. This is a medical prison, so many of these women are pregnant or have life threatening diseases. Can you imagine?

The Chapel of Hope - where we met to sing
 The Chapel it's self, barely had air conditioning. Suppossedly it was cooler inside than outside, but I think it was the other way around. We were warm as we worshipped! :)

One of the chosen songs was on the play list had "special effects" and cool parts. It was our "gift" to the women, and it was the only song that the audience didn't have the words too.  It is called Beautiful Things by the Michael Gungor band. To listen to it on you tube, click here. (It truly is a beautiful thing.) The words are simple, meaningful, and powerful. When we sang it for the second time, as the inmates were leaving, many of them sang along. How awesome!
The group right after the 2 hour church service
After we left the prison, some of us went to dinner at Sonic before heading home. Cranberry Limeades are the bomb on a hot a day.
More of the complex
I wish I had more pictures, but cameras are not allowed in the prison. so, these were all I could get. --We had a group picture of the volunteers taken, but not with my camera. We are suppossed to be getting a copy of soon, and I would love to add it to this post. So hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to do that.

Thanks for reading about my one-day mission trip. I am grateful for the opportunity in so many ways. -Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment