Monday, June 2, 2014

Memorial Day Sales

Well, over Memorial Day, Dave and I got to take advantage of some of the furniture sales that were going on. (Thanks for not criticizing me for shopping on Memorial Day. I know it isn't the reason for the holiday.) I got a beautiful turquoise buffet table that now holds some of my small kitchen appliances, kitchen towels, cookbooks, and table settings. It looks so beautiful in my dining room. I plan to hang two black and white pictures between the lamps. I can't wait 'til the look is complete!

 Can you see my plants and trees? It's hard to see in this picture, but we planted a dogwood and a lilac tree. We have a fir tree on the other side of the house. I love the way pine trees point towards the sunshine. It makes me think that they are praising God.

I also planted a hydrangea and a beautiful rose bush. The green planter has some little ranunculus seedlings coming up. It gives me so much joy watching my plants grow and blossom. I honestly wasn't sure what I would be able to grow in the great state of North Dakota. But, thankfully, life is blooming...
Grass is coming soon...


Blooms!
Before we plant grass, I wanted to go ahead and get a garden put in. We have tomatoes, asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli and strawberries in. On the deck, I have herbs in planters. I'm growing sweet basil, cilantro, spearmint and jalapenos. Hopefully, this will be good enough to start us out. I basically just need some fresh vegetables to make me some good ole' Texas style pico de gallo or salsa. -- I really miss that Tex-Mex cuisine, y'all. And the HEB tortillas. And the grocery stores in general. Plus, the price of food is way higher here. Although, I love the peaceful, slower paced lifestyle we have here in Dickinson. And, I love that I have a huge yard that I can grow a garden in. Plus, we have the time to go out and water our plants everyday. So, I guess it's an even trade.
We will add garden fencing of some sort soon.

It doesn't look like much. 
 These pictures don't really do my garden justice. But, that's okay. I'm sure you get the idea.
Strawberries plants are in the back.
Today is nice and cool outside. We have a high of 65. Moving to North Dakota from Houston gives me severe season confusion. I seriously keep forgetting it's summer. Yesterday to church, I wore a sweater while everyone else here were wearing sleeveless shirts. Umm...brr. --The weather today in North Dakota is what Houston is usually like in November or December (minus some serious humidity).  But, last week it was in the 80's here, and I'm sure we'll get back there again soon. I think.

Thanks for reading. -Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment