Saturday, June 28, 2014

Re-purposing FAIL

So, like anything else managed by a human, I sometimes fail in my re-purposing attempts. I would like to share some of those attempts with you today. :)

About 2 weeks ago, I planned to talk with you all about re-purposing potato water. I still believe that reusing potato water is awesome, but the recipe I planned to show didn't come out at all!!!!

Here is a picture of the recipe I took from the classifieds in our new home town of Dickinson:
 According to the recipe, you should take the potato water and use it as a sourdough starter. I thought this was a great idea! However, the recipe didn't fully explain all the steps to making the recipe, and my sourdough biscuits turned out more like rock biscuits. I wish I would have been less embarrassed and taken a picture of them. They were seriously a hilarious sight to behold.
potato water
After boiling, I put the potatoes in a freezer bag and placed them in the freezer. We were planning to go out of town that evening, and I didn't really need the potatoes for anything, but I wanted the water for making the sourdough starter and for sharing a re-purposing idea with my blog readers. I also would have liked to bring some of the biscuits along and throw some of them in the freezer for when we came home...but I ended up just throwing the majority of them out....

However, to look on the bright side, I still have those potatoes, and perhaps I will get them out of the freezer, reheat them and make potato soup or mashed potatoes with them tonight. I also saved the leftover potato water in the freezer, so the soup idea is actually very plausible. Especially because it is chilly and rainy today. Which brings me to my next fail....

Due to the weather, we probably won't be getting our compost pile made today. Our yard consistency is actually very soupy. Hopefully tomorrow though.

>>Other fails:

Once I used my peanut butter (nothing but peanuts that were ground) in a recipe that called for organic peanut butter. I was supposed to heat the pb in the microwave until it was smooth. I kept heating mine up, waiting for it to be smooth, but I'm pretty sure I just burnt it instead. Those granola bars were not well received or well eaten around here.

When I was a bank teller in highschool, pantyhose were mandatory. I really tried to salvage the ones that were ripped with clear nail polish. However, that never worked to stop the run. But, it did work in gluing the pantyhose to my leg.

I've also tried way too many times to repair things with super glue. It is not a magic, fix-all, people. (As I'm sure you know.) It does not do well at repairing wooden picture frames, barbies, or most things that will be regularly used. At least, that's my experience. Actually most glues have failed me often.

Once, when we lived in Houston, our van froze over due to freezing rain. I was in a HUGE rush to meet a real estate client, and had no de-icing gear (because I lived in Houston). So, in my haste, I remembered that when I lived in Northern states, some people used credit cards to scrape ice. However, this ice was thick and didn't feel like budging. I shredded my most used credit card. Stink!<<


Well, that sourdough biscuit recipe and I aren't through yet. And once I figure out the missing parts to the recipe, please know that I'll post it here for you all to read about.

Thanks for reading. Please share your re-purposing fails with me soon!

Blessings, Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment