Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sleep, Slumber...Zzzzzs

Sleep is such an interesting concept to me. Some people are so prone to it, and other's fight with it and for it. I've never been a person who can go to sleep in 2 seconds, and I've always been a light sleeper, but ever since I had Lydia, I have definitely fought with and for sleep. It takes me at least 30 minutes to sleep at night, and if one of the girls wakes me up at night, it usually takes longer. Also, I can hardly sleep through movies or in the car, like some people. It's a rare occassion for me to catch up on sleep like that.

I had some crazy insomnia when I was pregnant with my little Lydia, and ever since then, I don't go to sleep easily. I was attempting to sleep for two hours right before going into labor with her. Those hours of sleep would have been precious to me.

I usually go to sleep listening to Dave snoring beside me. He can go to sleep instantaneously. I'm the kind that can't get myself to go to sleep, while he's the kind who has to keep himself from going to sleep. It doesn't matter how exhausted I am when I go to bed- I can hardly ever fall to sleep quickly. I've tried to convince Dave to rub my feet every night before he goes to sleep (as this usually helps), but he just murmurs something about getting up and 6 a.m. while drifting off into sweet slumber.

The problem is that when I am laying in bed trying to sleep, I think more clearly than ever! Maybe it's the only time I actually think all day! I wish I could invent a machine to hook up to my brain to record my thoughts as I am going to sleep. I can write an awesome to-do-list, design a whole house, and have real revelations about God, all while I am trying to go to sleep. All of this thinking is wonderful; but I am always so tired. I wonder how I could keep these two events seperate during my day. I mean, I would love to be able to adequately think and sleep daily. I'm pretty sure my brain invention is the only way to go. Then, I won't have to fret about whether or not I will remember what I am thinking about. We'll see how that goes. :)
This is Dave sleeping while holding Lydia on the chair over a year ago. He just closes his eyes, and he's asleep. I have a lot of pics like this one. He always hiked his leg up for extra support in holding Lydia, just in case he took a little nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment