Friday, January 1, 2010

If You Play with Fire, You Might Get Burnt

When I was young, my Grandma Mitchell used to tell us that "if you play with fire, you'll wet the bed". I'm not sure what the logic is behind this old wives' tale, but I always assumed that it was some sub-conscious type thing. If you play with the fire, later you'll feel the need to put it out...hmmm. Anyway, there is always something about fire that is exciting. It's beautiful and dangerous. I'm sure this is why so many people love to take the opportunity to shoot fireworks and spend a ton of money doing it too. Last night, our neighbors were very excited to exercise their right to celebrate New Year's by shooting fireworks. It was not just one family and the fireworks lasted a looooong time. The booms started at 8 p.m. and lasted well past 1 a.m. Dave and I peeked out our window at them several times, wondering what all they were doing, trying to see if they may be done soon.
We didn't do much in the way of celebrating last night. After putting the girls to bed, Dave and I watched a movie and then were planning to go to sleep, however, it was very hard to sleep with people setting off fireworks from the cul-de-sac right by our bedroom windows. Like I said, we peeked out several times, and I actually saw a kid run from his house with a flaming piece of newspaper to light fireworks. After he got to the cul-de-sac, he dropped the paper and teens and kids ran to the paper to light their fireworks. This is when I noticed that there were tons of teens and kids and only 2 adults. I know that these adults were not the kids' parents and I said..."that is so dangerous!"
At about 1:20, the fireworks began dieing down, and Dave and I were so excited to have some peace and quiet. However, there were a few more blasts in the next few minutes.
Then, as usual, we heard a siren drive by on the busy street next to our house. I soon realized the lights flashing outside of our windows. (We really do hear and see everything from up here.) I looked out, and realized the ambulance had come to our street. Then the fire truck came. Dave and I watched to see what may have happened. We were saddened even more when we saw a four or five-year-old little boy being taken out on the stretcher. The mom took FOREVER to get into the EMS vehicle so that the ambulance could actually drive off. She seemed calm the first time she came out, but I could hear her wailing the second time. So sad. Dave and I were worried for them. After a police officer came and filed a report, and the flashing lights were gone, Dave and I went back to bed to finally get some sleep at about 1:45.
This afternoon, Dave and I asked some of the neighbor kids what happened to the little boy who got taken to the hospital. Evidently, he had been hit in the leg by a rocket. The kid said the little boy had to have his bone taken out, but I highly doubt that is true. It's such a sad story that a little boy got hurt because these people weren't being more cautious. If you'd like to pray for the little boy, his name is Daniel. We are just glad that he wasn't more injured, and on the bright side of things, Dave and I had some entertainment we weren't planning on. We are a little tired today, but we'll shake it off.
I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's too. What did you do to bring in the new year? Did you have a quiet night at home, or go out? Did you have an unplanned fireworks party with neighbors, or have a planned party with friends? Do you have any traditions on New Year's Day? Do you have resolutions this year? I'd love to hear from you! Happy 2010 to all of you!!!! I hope that for those of you who had a bad 2009, that your 2010 is amazing! God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. Great post....Wow...can it really be 2010....So glad I found your blog and look forward to many reads in 2010..Happy New Year..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi....
    I came here after reading your comment on the LPM blog.
    When I saw that you had moved from Bartlesville I wondered if it was Bartlesville, OK? I'm from Oklahoma. :)

    This is sad about Daniel and I'll certainly keep him in my prayers.
    While I love fireworks, they've always scared me.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete